Top 15 Linux Data Recovery Tools The Professionals Choice
Sometimes you may need to access essential data saved on your Linux operated computer storage, but you may fail repeatedly. The most common reasons for such a problem are virus attack, permanent or accidental removal of files, error messages and so on. Whatever the reason might be, such a loss may cause irrecoverable damage to you. As it is an instantaneous accident, so you can hardly take precautionary measures. But, what you can definitely do is to use several Linux data recovery tools for getting back your lost data.
To facilitate your re-getting process of files, here we have listed the most worthy 15 Linux file recovery tools that you can use without any hesitation.
Ultimate 15 Linux Data Recovery Utilities
The following list contains a vivid description of features for each Linux data recovery tool. The info shared is 100% authentic, and the tools are specially made for Linux. Thus, you can use any of these to preserve the evidence of your toil.
1. Ddrescue Data Recovery Tool
Ddrescue is GNU license holder software that you can use for free of cost for recovering the lost data. This Linux data recovery distro is an expert in rescuing data when read errors happen. To do so, it simply copies a file from cdrom or hard drive like device to another external or internal device.
- Available as a fragment of a recovery/multi-boot distro package or as a single bootable cd.
- Powerful enough to recover data despite all sorts of disk errors and bad sectors.
- Its activity can be stopped and resumed at any time.
- The log file keeps track of advancement and reduces redundant scanning.
- Merges multiple impaired disk or file copies.
It is a Linux file recovery tool, which is aimed at getting the maximum amount of data from a spoiled drive. This Linux disk recovery tool is written using the C programming language that you will get with a simulator for simulating defective media. The purpose of the simulation is to test SafeCopy comparing it with the identical data recovery tools.
- Capable of issuing device resets to other low-level instructions.
- Operates its activity in your computer’s background without making it sluggish.
- Available in 16 different languages.
- You can install it on as many computers as you want without being charged additionally.
- A private sharing link option lets you share large files or folders.
TestDisk is an open-source data retrieval utility that is completely free. This Linux disk recovery application is mainly intended to help retrieve lost file storage partitions. It can also turn a non-booting disk to a bootable one if any error is caused by virus attack, human error, or defective software.
- You can use TestDisk to gather complete information regarding a corrupted drive.
- The information gathered can also be shared with technicians for additional analysis.
- Compatible with numerous operating systems including Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, SunOS, etc.
- The Linux partition recovery tool is capable of recognizing many disk partitions like the map of Apple partition and table of GUID partition.
- Can handle corruptions of a specific exact logical filesystem.
4. Redo Backup and Recovery
Redo Backup and Recovery is regarded as the simplest to use system retrieval cd. The reason lies in its refined GUI and already widespread operations. The utility is released under GNU GPL3. It is one of the Linux disk recovery tools that is equipped with convenient multi-tasking features.
- Lets you get access to other tools even when some other operations are running background.
- You can get it available for use on a bootable USB or CD.
- It is one of the Linux partition recovery programs that can clone disk partitions with Partclone.
- A web browser, text editor, file manager, and Terminal are available.
PhotoRec belongs to those rare Linux disk recovery applications that are intended to retrieve missing files comprising documents, archives, and video from CD-ROMs and hard disks. This opensource multi-platform program is completely free. It is normally allocated under “GNU General Public License.”
- PhotoRec can restore the pictures lost from the memory of a digital camera.
- Functions even when your media file system is severely damaged as it can discover the unseen or unexplored data.
- To ensure further security, the tool utilizes read-only admittance to manage the memory card.
- Can also turn a non-bootable disk to bootable because of being a companion utility of TestDisk.
6. SystemRescue CD
It is a Linux file recovery program that you can use a bootable USB drive or CD-ROM to repair unbootable or spoiled computer system caused by a system crash. This Linux partition recovery utility provides you with some tools so that you can retrieve data, create and edit partitions, test Hard-disk. This disk recovery application has many more excellent features as listed below:
- Its FSArchiver system tool lets you rescue the materials of a file system to a compacted archive file.
- The tool can boot Memtest86+, FreeDOS, hardware diagnostics and so on.
- Capable of creating a boot disk for many operating systems.
- Owns both archiving and un-archiving abilities.
- Supports Web-browsers such as ELinks, Firefox, and Midori.
7. Avira Rescue System
“ Avira Rescue System” is necessarily a bootable antivirus application that not only scans your system for viruses but also repairs the damaged system. It is also a collection of tools, which contain a utility that is used for writing a bootable CD. You can even download the CD as an ISO folder.
- It is not dependent on any of the host PC’s as this Linux data recovery distro has its personal ‘Linux-based’ operating system.
- You can use it for cleaning an unbootable PC and finding malware.
- The program includes an antivirus program that can look for and remove malware.
- It is often updated, so your operating system is always secured at its best.
Knoppix is considered the finest and mostly used Linux disk recovery utility that you can adopt for repairing a damaged system. It is an operating system that is founded on ‘Debian’ intended to be operated from a live USB or a DVD/live CD. Although it is mainly intended to be functioned as a live CD, yet you can even install it on a hard-disk.
- Two of the versions are available in German and English language.
- Contains several proprietary software even after being consisted of open source and free software.
- You can use it for copying files directly from the hard drives connected to unreachable operating systems.
- Administration and network analysis tools are available.
9. Trinity Rescue Kit
It is a Linux distribution, which is live and cost-free. This Linux data recovery distro intends to recover files and fix the system on both Linux and Windows operating system. It has a special feature to allow the versatile keyboard and English users to accomplish maintenance and patch-up on a computer. The features range from the resetting of a password to the scanning of the virus.
- The menu interface is simple and easy to use.
- Supports a wide-range of hardware.
- Takes update automatically to ensure the security of your data.
- It can even restore the missing partitions because of being a versatile Linux partition recovery tool.
- Can empty a failing disk.
- Availability of easy script that lets you locate and mount each local file-system.
10. GParted Live
‘GParted Live’ is a small Linux distribution, which offers each feature of the up-to-date GParted program. Though the distribution cannot be used as a long-lasting Linux distribution yet, you can run it using a bootable CD. The USB stick can also be used to run the Linux data recovery distro for data rescue, recovering spoiled partitions, creating the partition, etc.
- Ensures 100% data recovery from the missing partitions.
- Can activate and inactivate both boot or concealed partition flags.
- Can generate gpt or msdos like partition tables.
- Expert in creating, moving, copying, resizing, checking, labeling and deleting partitions.
- Compatible with a wide range of storage devices.
Foremost is another great forensic based Linux data recovery application that recovers your lost files using data structures, footers, and headers. The method of its recovering files is popularly called “file carving.” Though this Linux hard drive recovery utility is written for the use of the law enforcement organizations yet, you can use it freely as a regular Linux file recovery tool.
- Owns the ignoring capability of the core filesystem
- Able to retrieve particular filetypes such as png, jpg, BMP, gif, avi, mpg, exe, wav, wmy, riff, mov, pdf, doc, ole, zip and many more
- An additional configuration file is available in it that you can use to define extra file types.
- Can be used to retrieve files from the iPhone through a computer
- Can retrieve data from image files as well
This excellent file carver tool is primarily founded on Foremost and aims at being prudent in its process. The Linux data recovery distro makes the best use of asynchronous output/input and multi-threading for searching from end to end images in an effective way.
- Able to sort out various dissimilar file types.
- Can carve disks irrespective of their formation with a certain filesystem.
- The Linux hard drive recovery program provides you with the capability of specifying the figure of headers and footers.
grep is an amazing command-line program that searches for “plain-text data sets” for lines, which counterpart a typical expression. Its name has been derived from the ed command “g/re/p.” Though this fabulous Linux hard drive recovery utility was initially advanced for Unix operating system, yet it is currently accessible via all Unix-like systems.
- Powerful enough to locate and recover missing data from a disk image or block device.
- Can discover excessive lines.
- Produces binary files as output with quite human-readability.
- Forces you to find out the required data manually.
14. Ultimate Boot CD
“Ultimate Boot CD” is a bootable set of the top freeware programs for any kind of Linux data recovery task. The tool has been patched together for more than 15 years. With this Linux hard drive recovery application, you can properly figure out where the problem lies and thus get back your things to proper condition.
- Easily runnable from USB.
- Capable of performing multiple tasks including cloning from failing disks and examining distinct hardware elements.
- Works perfectly for excessively aged hardware.
- Automatically gets updated frequently to offer you the best service.
- It has authority over HDD, BIOS, CPU, System, Memory, Peripherals and many things more.
15. Mondo Rescue
Mondo is another great Linux hard drive recovery utility, which is free and trustworthy. Many large and tiny companies, blue-chip enterprises, and around 10 thousands of users are currently using this fabulous program extensively. You can run it on all the foremost Linux distributions.
- Verifies the reliability of any computer.
- Restores files and amend “/etc/lilo.conf” and “/etc/fstab” maintaining sequence.
- Reorganizes partitions before formatting and partitioning the drives.
- RAID, LVM, ext2, JFS, ext3, ReiserFS, VFAT, XFS, and many other additional file-systems are easily supported by Mondo.
- It can back up a system being operated on a particular format and retrieve as another.
In the end, we hope that you have gone through each of the Linux file recovery tools and understood the reason for our choosing these. We think the Linux partition recovery utilities discussed can bring you out of the depression caused by the loss of your precious files. This is where our toil of writing for you will get fulfillment.
Finally, we humbly request you to share this article to help others save their data. Also, leave a comment below letting us know your opinion regarding our writing and information.