Best 15 Document Management Systems for Linux System
If you have just launched a startup or already own a company, then obviously you need to manage a huge workforce as well as a large collection of documents. The documents or files of a company where different people work collaboratively need to manage uniquely so that anyone can work on them, and users can have better version control. That is when a document management system comes in handy. If the software infrastructure of your organization is based on Linux, then you will need to look for a document management system for your Linux system.
This tool will help you to store and manage documents either in a local directory or in a dedicated server. You can easily locate older versions of a document with this tool, and thus, the record-keeping procedure becomes easier. These tools can easily increase the overall productivity of your workspace. Even if you are an individual user, you can get some extra benefits from using a document management tool.
Best Document Management Systems for Linux
Google Drive is a great example of a basic document management system. But if you need more customizations and flexibility, then you may require some of the great open-source document management systems for your system. Linux is a great platform for using in a corporate workspace. No wonder that you will find many document management systems for Linux on the internet. But choosing the best tools from them is not an easy task to do. So we have made a list of 15 best document management tools for Linux.
Alfresco is an award-winning tool for document management. Being a Java-based program, you will get much flexibility running this on any system. There is an Enterprise Edition and a developer forum based community Edition of this software. The Community Edition is free and open-source. On the other hand, the Enterprise Edition has a commercial support plan if you are more serious about your files.
Key Features of Alfresco
- It has a full-fledged web app with session virtualization included.
- It has content tagging functionality, and you can search based on tags.
- Alfresco supports multiple record management standards, including 5015.2, MoReq2, NOARK, etc.
- Users can access the repository via SMB, FTP, WebDAV, NFS, and CMIS.
- Alfresco has multiple databases support like MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Database, IBM DB2, etc.
- It has built-in support for Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
This is an open-source document management system for Linux. You can manage your documents through its web interface. JBoss Application Server, Google Web Kit, Lucene, Apache Jackrabbit, and Java J2EE are powering the backbone of the program. As the program is completely free, you can use it in your small companies for cost-effectiveness.
Key Features of OpenKM
- The web-based client lets you access your files from anywhere around the world.
- The fluid user interface makes it easier to drag and drop files directly from your file explorer.
- Built-in Optical Character Recognition or OCR to scan images and extract data from them.
- Microsoft Office and Open Office add-in to make a faster workflow.
- Built-in advanced search engine so that users can search for files using different criteria.
- Advanced security features to make your documents safer.
LogicalDOC is an easy to use document management tool for Linux systems. It has four different editions for different types of users. The Community Edition is free and open-source while it lacks some functionality. On the other hand, the Business, Enterprise, and Cloud editions have got some unique and advanced functionalities.
Key Features of LogicalDOC
- The software can easily run on a cluster-based system.
- Users will get a .NET and PHP based full-fledged web UI.
- It has got a powerful Lucene based search engine that can index and search for files easily.
- Automatic version control is a very useful feature of this program. It can configure the first revision number.
- Multiple workspace system of this tool increases productivity.
- Its advanced plugin system can add different extra functionalities to this program.
Maarch is very useful for storing a high volume of documents. It is based on PHP and has every basic functionality of a document management system. Apart from the open-source product, Maarch has an Enterprise Edition with extra functionalities.
Key Features of Maarch
- The program has a modular design, and thus, the functionalities can be easily manageable.
- You can manage authorization clearance based on the hierarchy of the organization.
- Users can set different schemes for files based on classifications.
- The tool has physical archives management functionality.
It is an open-source document management system written in PHP. It uses MySQL for managing databases. It is an old tool, and the last build is dated back to 2008. But many useful functionalities make it a popular document management system. The software is free while you can get extended support from Epiware developers by spending money.
Key Features of Epiware
- You can control folder access via groups or users.
- Its advanced search option makes it easier to search with metadata.
- Users can create virtual workspace and teams for collaborative work in a secured manner.
- It keeps easily manageable document access and document version history.
6. Mayan EDMS
Mayan is a modern document management system with a web-based user interface. The program code is written in python while using Django as a framework. It is a free and open-source tool with some extra functionalities. It also works as a dedicated OCR system.
Key Features of Mayan EDMS
- Ability to verify the authenticity of documents via an embedded cryptographic signature system.
- It has built-in support for LibreOffice to make spreadsheets and presentations management easier.
- Mayan EDMS has both local and server-side file uploading system.
- It shows an image preview of popular file formats, and thus, it becomes easier to organize files.
- It has a limited third party plugin support for extended functionalities.
SeedDMS is the successor of the popular document management system LetoDMS. And for this reason, it is fully compatible with the former one. It is a free and open-source program. This web-based tool is written on PHP and uses MySQL as its database management system.
Key Features of SeedDMS
- It has a very easy to use user interface. It shows all the files and folders, just like on a typical file manager with extra information.
- The texts on a PDF, MS Word, MS Excel files can be directly indexed, and users can search for them.
- It has an integrated workflow management system for using in a large organization.
- SeedDMS features WebDAV access, and it has REST API support.
NemakiWare is an open-source program from some Japanese developers. It is pretty lightweight but beautifully adorned with modern features and customizations. It is written in Java with the help of the OpenCMIS library from Apache Chemistry. It uses NoSQL as its database management system.
Key Features of NemakiWare
- It features an advanced level access control system. Users can easily give access and can deny anyone to use a particular folder.
- It can create extra properties to the metadata of a particular file so that users can fine-tune the search.
- The full-text search feature enables users to search among the contents of different documents.
- The advanced locking feature of this program is supported by all other CMIS clients.
Kimios is an open-source program made by Teclib. Being a Java-based tool, you can use it in any environment running Java version 8 or higher. This tool can securely connect and manage any type of storage infrastructure. For this reason, it is greatly helpful for a large organization.
Key Features of Kimios
- It has a responsive mobile UI that helps to work on the go.
- It can remotely connect to the document management system through any type of browser.
- Indexing by metadata as well as document contents.
- The biggest advantage is supporting a huge number of file formats.
- It features built-in integration with Microsoft software and services.
It is a Linux document management tool written in PHP. It uses Apache to run on a system. DocMGR is a full-featured web-based tool. You can run it with any browser. A full-text indexing system named Tsearch2 gives it extra power to crawl through the documents and index it according to texts.
Key Features of DocMGR
- Visual document workflow management feature.
- Indexing based on Optical Character Recognition system.
- Full WebDAV protocol support for remote management in a secure environment.
- The discussion board option helps to communicate with the collaborators.
Casebox is a specialized document management system which adapted to use in NGOs and law firms. It is also known as a case management system. This tool was developed jointly by HURIDOCS and Ketse.com. Normally HURIDOCS maintains the codebase for their partner firms while Ketse looks after their original codebase. The collaboration feature with a powerful file management system makes it an unbeatable litigation management tool.
Key Features of Casebox
- Drag and drop system makes it useful for the beginners.
- It can create graphs and charts automatically from your resources. It can also publish them automatically to a website via the web module.
- The advanced recycle bin function enables you to undelete anything anytime.
- Users can create dynamic forms with logical conditions to interact with different persons.
- This tool prevents cross-device syncing to add an extra layer of security.
SutiDMS is an online document management system with all the useful functionalities. It is developed by Suti Soft. This tool is built as a scalable SaaS model. For this reason, you will get the features according to your needs, and you can pay accordingly. Though it’s basic version is free of cost.
Key Features of SutiDMS
- It has an advanced version controlling system.
- This tool is integrated with Suti Soft’s eSignature solution to simplify the approval process.
- It features an automated electronic records disposition system.
- This tool has an integrated graphics-based workflow management system.
This is an open-source document management system written in PHP. It supports ISO 17025 and IE standards for document management. It features a full-fledged independent web interface. The automated installer and updater make it easier to use. It runs fluently on any Linux based distribution.
Key Features of OpenDocMan
- You can add unlimited file types to this tool.
- It supports unlimited new file properties according to your company’s needs.
- Automated file expiration system for better control over files.
- It has a departmental access control feature for each file.
- Advanced email feature for notifying about recent changes.
OnlyOffice is an online document management system and office management program. It is simple and easy to use. It has the Enterprise, Developer, and Integration edition for different types of users. As the tool runs on a dedicated server provided by the developer company, it is not free. You can choose different plans according to your needs. The Integration edition lets you integrate this tool with your self hosted infrastructure. It is a partially open source document management system.
Key Features of OnlyOffice
- It is an all in one tool for mail, documents, projects, calendars, and much more.
- Integration support for popular DMS like Alfresco, ownCloud, SharePoint, etc.
- The original code is open-source on Github so that you can get extra flexibility.
- Free Android and iOS app support for working on the go.
Bitrix24 is a modern document management system with all modern features. It has different tariff plans for users with different needs. For small companies, it has a free plan with limited functionalities. This is a great option to get started. It has a full-fledged add-on store to extend the functionalities of the tool.
Key Features of Bitrix24
- Private social networking feature makes it easier to catch up with the colleagues.
- The real-time video chatting option saves time and increases productivity.
- The workload management feature helps you to distribute tasks among workers with less pressure.
- It automatically creates recurring tasks from templates.
- It can visualize data with beautiful graphs and charts.
The tools mentioned above are some of the best document management systems for Linux desktop. Few of them are free and open-source while others cost you money. As document management systems need a server to run, regular security patches, and customer support, it is difficult to find a completely free service. So, you should choose the plan wisely according to your organization’s needs to save some bucks.